How do I sync a Wii Remote?
Synchronising the Wii Remote to a Wii console allows the Wii Remote to communicate with the console. The Wii Remote included with your system should already be synchronised to your console. However, all additional Wii Remotes you use with your system also need to be synced in order to function properly.
There are two different modes of synchronising (syncing):
- STANDARD MODE - The Standard Mode procedure is used when adding additional Wii Remotes to your system or if you want to re-synchronise your original Wii Remote. Once synchronised, the Wii Remote will stay synced to the console unless you overwrite the settings by syncing the remote to a different console.
- Press the Power button on the Wii console to turn it on.
- Remove the battery cover on the back of the Wii Remote you wish to sync up, and press the SYNC button just below the batteries. The Player LED will blink.
- Open the SD Card Slot cover on the front of the Wii console and press the SYNC button on the inside of the compartment.
- When the Player LED blinking stops, the syncing is complete. The LED that is illuminated indicates the player number (1 to 4).
This procedure must be followed for each additional Wii Remote added to your system.
- ONE TIME MODE - This mode allows you to temporarily use your remote on a Wii console other than your own, or to use a friend's remote on your console. It can also be used to change the order of the Wii Remotes, without the need to turn off the Wii console. One Time Mode does not delete the Standard Mode setting stored in the Wii Remote. In this mode, the Wii Remote will only communicate with the Wii console while the power is on. When the power is turned off, the Wii Remote will lose its sync with the Wii Console.
- Press the HOME Button on a Wii Remote that is synchronised with the Wii console.
- Select the Wii Remote Settings option from the Home Menu.
- Select the Reconnect Option.
- Press the 1 and 2 Buttons at the same time on the Wii Remote that you want to synchronise with the console. If you are syncing multiple Wii Remotes, press the 1 and 2 Buttons on each Wii Remote immediately (without a significant pause) in the order you want them synced. The order in which you synchronise Wii Remotes determines the player order (1 to 4) for multiplayer games. The Player LED will blink during the syncing process. When the blinking stops, the connection is complete.
Only a Wii Remote in Standard Mode can turn the Wii console power ON or OFF.